Sometimes it’s infuriating how much garbage is out there that claims “Gnosticism” as a source. There’s this ridiculous amount of junk that’s just too overwhelming to refute. All you can do is point it out and say, PROCEED WITH CAUTION.
I highly regard “work” by the following individuals as completely suspect and recommend readers avoid them at all costs. It’s difficult to find much criticism of them, probably because nobody *really* cares, but I care enough that I’d at least like to increase the chance that maybe, just maybe, somebody looking into one of them will find this post on Google and rethink their involvement with these characters.
So without further ado, here’s an initial, official list of BLEH:
- Sylvia Browne – The Gnostics were Goddess-worshippers and I can speak to your dead grandmother. Give me money!
- William Henry – The Gnostics were describing a LITERAL “Body of Light” and something something STARGATE. I am going to build one. Give me $25,000.00!
- J.J. and Deseree Hurtak – The Gnostics were– wait for it– UFO aliens! We wrote our own Keys of Enoch. Pay some money to see us speak!
- John Lash – The Gnostics were UFO aliens. References in the Nag Hammadi Library to “The Outer Darkness” were LITERALLY describing outer space. Sophia is Gaia????.
- “Tau Malachi” – I’m all part of a Secret Lineage of Gnosticism that I can’t tell you anything about. Aren’t I handsome? Did I mention my lineage is SECRET?
- Samael Aun Weor (Victor Rodriguez) – The Gnostics were UFO aliens. Good ol’ SEX MAGIC is all about HOLDING IT IN, BABY! Oh, and homosexuals are evil and deviant.
And this is just scratching the surface….
The connecting problem seems to be a complete disdain for historical accuracy, and an inability to admit when something is their own creation versus the creation of the Gnostics. Oh, and a hearty love of ridiculous self-promotion and head-shots. Their books and whatnot are very shiny, and they tend to attract followers via expensive seminars and product pitches.
The craziest thing is how popular and successful a lot of these characters are. Dang, I can barely afford to fill my gas tank with my book royalties. I’m often amazed by how much money I could be making if I didn’t have any scruples or a sense of decency. Sheesh. Well now, I guess that’s not terribly crazy. In fact, it makes a whole lot of sense if you think about it.
Oh, well. Nice thing about having a blog is it gives you a delightful way to let off steam. Steam, begone!
And while I’m at it, GET OFF MY LAWN, YOU DANGED KIDS!